Thursday, March 17, 2005

Unsettling calm

After a while of heavy fighting the beast seems to be tamed. I speak about the horrible component I've had the honour to work on the last months. I made ugly patches to the code base to reduce the worst memory and performance problems.

In parallel I managed to convince upper management that we need a new design which includes a real database as the backbone (the actual concept tries to mimic a SQL database and fails miserably). And I got green light !!! I really thought this would be harder but the pain caused by this component seems to be so pervasive that any new intelligent proposal is welcomed. But the new design will only work for the projects to come, the running project is nearly finished and I cross all my fingers that the fixes will hold the thing together.

Lessons learned:
  • Don't let lone freelancers implement core functionality without controlling reviews. They sometimes vanish faster than you can see.

  • Don't be fooled by the perfect process. The process can't check memory and performance requirements

  • Take a look at your design and ask yourself: is the design simple or are there too many abstractions

3 Comments:

Blogger alex said...

Found a lot of useful info on your site about sql database - thank you. Haven't finished reading it yet but have bookmarked it so I don't lose it. I've just started a sql database blog myself if you'd like to stop by

October 7, 2005 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I really liked the information on your blog about sql database I have my own sql database exposedblog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine

October 7, 2005 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger emily said...

I really liked the information on your blog about sql database I have my own sql database exposedblog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine

October 7, 2005 at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home